Monday, August 25, 2014

Ahhhh!

Did you ever have the nightmare where you were standing in front of your class, only to realize you were naked?  Remember how sickening that was?

This is how I began my first day teaching.  No, I was not naked, but I sure felt that way.  As I pulled into school for the opening day assembly, every parking spot was filled... all but mine that is.  I immediately began to get nervous, thinking I had the time of the assembly wrong.  I was able to take a deep breath and calm myself.

However, when I entered the school, it was silent.  I didn't hear a sound.  This was not right as I was entering from the back near where the auditorium (and the assembly) were.  I got to the auditorium and peeked in.  It was empty.  No one was around.  I had MISSED IT!!!

"Great." I thought,  "Now I have to go to my principle on the first day and apologize for not being there as he introduced the new faculty!"

I was so frustrated.  How had I missed that?  I checked the start time like 6 times to make sure I would be there on time.  I walked quietly to my art room.  Sure enough, the homeroom that uses the space was there.  They were all gathered back together after the assembly.  BLAH.  What a way to start things off.

Finally, I slowed down enough to seek out another teacher who also does not have a homeroom.  I asked if I had missed the assembly.  To my great relief the answer was NO!  WHEW.  Dodged a bullet that time.

-----

I told the above story to a friend of mine after getting home from an otherwise uneventful first day of teaching.  I confided in her that I still feel like I have no idea what I am doing.  I couldn't tell if the students were giving me blank looks because I was boring, new, they were tired, syllabus day is always a drag, or WHAT.  All I knew was the looks made me feel even more out of place, and like I had a lot of catching up to do if I wanted to keep my teacher title.

She kindly re-assured me.  She reminded me that most adults still find themselves in a learning curve- ESPECIALLY with a new job.  Receiving a degree and professional title does not immediately inject you with all the knowledge, experience and confidence to move forward without a care.

Practice helps, experience helps, trial and error help.  Deep breathes DEFINITELY help.  Friends help- one might even say they can be super heroes dressed in civilian clothing.  Thanks friend for the calming advice and for reminding me I am not the only one feeling this way ;)

And thank you Mr. Principal for starting the assembly later than I expected so that I had my first-day-"I'm naked"-freak-out in front of a peer and not my class!

Cheers, to the many days ahead!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment