Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Grace to step out of place

I am grateful for my student's patience as I learn more and more about enameling and teaching. I have definitely had a bit of a learning curve this first quarter of teaching, and they have been very kind to me as I stumble over instructions and through new assignments.

Each time I start a new project, I try and think through the steps, take note of what may or may not work, and jot down what key points I need to emphasize, etc.  

Sometimes as I am standing in front of them presenting the project I feel like I have two heads.  The more I talk, the more out of place I feel.  I think, "Why is it I am doing this again?"  Then, as they ask clarifying questions and start planning their next move, I realize at least one of my two heads was saying what I wanted because they are actually comprehending what I was saying.  Their projects are thoughtful and creative.  They take what I say and push it.  They pull from what they have been learning already and incorporate that into what I was hoping they would accomplish on the new task at hand.

It is fabulous.

Even when I feel like I COMPLETELY flopped the instructions, they seem to understand.  If not, they say, "Wait, WHAT??!!" and we try again.  Typically with laughing involved.  Overall, they do not seem to notice all the things that feel glaringly wrong.  I suppose I am STILL my worst critique.

Just as my students do, I must continue to give myself grace as I stumble over thoughts and words.  As I say something, realize it is not the best way to go about the project and must take it back.  As I learn while they learn.  As I continue to come to terms with the fact that even though I am the teacher, I am not an expert.  AND THAT IS OK.  Class is over.  Onto a new day :D

No comments:

Post a Comment