Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Teaching 101

In a few short weeks I will begin my as an art teacher, with my own class room, at a HIGH SCHOOL.

Today, I went into my room and looked around, trying to decide where to begin.  The first thing I noticed was "Ms. Sheldon" written on a sign by the door as you walk in.  That felt good.

I sat at the desk, looked through the supplies, thought about lessons a bit, and then decided I didn't have enough answers to my questions to really get started on much today.  I chose a few reference books to take with me to look over in the next few days, and realized the time will be flying by between now and the first day of class. Questions began to pour in about "what if the students realize I am learning along with them and can barely stay ahead?  What if I do an inadequate job explaining the project or my expectations? and so on..."  All the questioning felt less good.

After a short time I decided I got what I needed for the most part, and that I could head out.  On the way out I stopped by the office to ask a question about the schedule (as I am part-time and my days are all a bit different).  I was given a planner with ALL the information I would ever need about schedules.  When I got to my car I started to think about how I wanted to decorate the cover of the planner.  Next I though, "Wait, are you people SURE I'm the teacher?  This could take some work.........."

Let the journey begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment