Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A House of Prayer for All Nations

The week I got my kiln set up, I saw a link on Facebook that announced Faith Church in Milford, OH was looking for a local artist to create a piece for the lobby of their church.  I thought, "Why not apply and see what happens?"

The deadline was midnight on Good Friday.  I had a quick sketch prepared weeks prior, but with other deadlines pressing in, etc. I had never made a more professional sketch.  I also was still debating whether I would be able to give this project enough time if I was chosen as the artist.  Overall, I did not feel properly prepare to apply.  However, I could not shake the feeling that I needed to at least try. Therefore, at 11:59pm on Friday I sent in my information, and thus Pray to Him all ye nations was born...

Faith Church asked the work be created around Isaiah 56.  Specifically verse seven "for my house will be called a house of prayer for all nations."  I took the opportunity to practice relief sculpting, mixing various underglazes to create multiple ethnicities, ages and genders.
Sharon (pictured above on the right) was wonderful to coordinate as the church's liaison.  Also, a very special thanks to Brian who hung the piece with even more care a precision than I could have.  This was an incredible opportunity and experience :)

Sculpted clay, still wet.  Waiting to be fired.
Bisque fired with underglaze painted on.
Beginning on the watercolor background.
Final product.



No comments:

Post a Comment